The Most Common Reasons Behind Google Penalties
Why do some websites get penalized by Google?
Search engine optimizers all over the world live in fear of Google penalties. Okay, maybe that’s a bit of an exaggeration, but it’s true that any seasoned SEO expert will be on the lookout for potential penalty-related issues.
In case you aren’t familiar, Google imposes penalties on sites that violate its terms and conditions, and those practicing tactics that are harmful for the average user’s experience. Some “penalties” are just the natural influence of Google’s ranking algorithm in action. Others are manual actions, doled out by Google staff members directly.
If you’re dealing with a ranking algorithm problem, you can correct your mistake and recover pretty easily. Even if you have a manual penalty, you can appeal the decision or correct the infraction to move on. But it still pays to know why penalties exist and how to avoid them, so you can stay at the top of the ranks for as long as possible.
What are the most common reasons behind Google penalties?
- Blatant illegal activity. If your website is practicing some kind of blatantly illegal activity, like selling drugs or scamming people, it’s only a matter of time before you’re penalized.
- Spammy content. Low-quality content comes in many forms. Sometimes, it’s too thin. Sometimes, it’s stuffed with keywords. Sometimes, it’s aggressive or misleading. Whatever the case, bad content gets the Google hammer.
- Spammy links. Links are essential to rank higher, but only natural, high-quality links count. If you spam links or if your links are unnatural, you’re going to face a penalty.
- Manipulative onsite tactics. Hiding keywords in the background of your site and other manipulative practices are common motivations for Google penalties.
- Security issues. If your website is thought to be a security risk for your users, Google may intentionally derank or delist it.
These are just some of the activities that can get you penalized by Google. If you want to avoid penalties at all costs, it’s best to work with a professional who can comprehensively guard you against them. For more information, contact Quez Media for a free consultation today!